As much as I hate to admit it, I'd say I have an A-type personality. I love meticulous tasks (weird, I know), and I am extremely detail oriented. Since this is who I am, it has obviously spilled over into my teaching. I get excited about art, and when I am particularly moved by a painting or the story of a particular artist, I want those I teach to be just as affected. So, I'll design a lesson plan where the students learn about the particular artist or artwork. But then I think, what if they don't get anything out of it? What if they don't take the time they should to really understand what I'm trying to teach them? What if they don't care? So what do I do, I add more, hoping to guide them to the same conclusion I arrived at. And usually, as I research for a lesson, I discover more and more information that i want to share with the students. Soon I'm left with way too much in a lesson and in my expectations, and while I desperately want the students to be just as excited as all this information as I am, I know it's not realistic to teach it all.
Getting caught up in the moment is a common occurrence for teachers. Especially when one is passionate about their subject and wants to share that passion. But it is easy to lose sight of the importance of each aspect being brought to the table. I know I'm guilty. I will bring ten images to accompany an example, when really only two are necessary. The purpose of adding more becomes my concern that two will not be enough, instead of that they are necessary parts of the lesson.
Tovani cautions against using too much information without careful consideration of the purpose. She writes, "Many of us become experts on our content. We become familiar with our textbooks and novels and often forget what it was like to e a beginning student of our disciplines. Inadvertently, we water down our content because we try to cover too much." So really, by adding more than necessary, we are doing the exact opposite of our intent. Instead of enriching the lesson, we water it down. We give our students only enough time to skim the surface for miles instead of take a deep plunge into a smaller area.
A great strategy that Tovani suggests is letting the students ask questions about the text or information being presented. This is a great indicator of whether the students are getting anything out of the information and well, whether it is purposeful or not. This goes along with something I have had to remind myself of- we have to have more trust in students, or at least, I do. I get excited about a the result I achieved in my own study, and want to ensure that my students arrive there too. But who says a student can't arrive there on their own accord? Do I really need to lay down bread crumbs for them to follow? Also, just because a student might not arrive where I hope they would doesn't mean their conclusion is wrong. Heck, they might see something I never saw, and teach me something! Also, as I have learned throughout this class, every student is different. Every student is at a different reading level and utilizes their own type of literacy. So if a student connects with a particular painting because a replica is hanging in her Grandma's house, who am I to say no, you need to focus on this other one instead? When students can take the lead, so much good can come. Confidence, comfort, excitement, eagerness to learn, and a richer educational experience.
So I guess, less is more. When a student is not overwhelmed, they can move comfortably and set sail on their own course. I took an art education class this past spring where we had designated studio time at the end of each class. Unlike all other teachers I had, this one gave us the choice to move in whichever direction we wanted. She did not say, "today we will do painting", she let us take the lesson from the first hour and interpret our current state of mind in our own way. What restraint she showed, to step back and let us guide ourselves, and it made all the difference. So I must remember to keep things simple, and always make sure every aspect I want to use has a genuine purpose.
I also try to inform someone about everything I know and end up turning them off from the topic because they are so overwhelmed by information or they don’t get a chance to cling onto anything. If this becomes the case I might as well try to teach to a wall. This is a very important skill that I have yet to learn but I am working on it. I really do not want to overwhelm my students.
ReplyDeleteTovani's strategy for a balance between over and undersaturation is interesting to read about. Questions are a great way to gauge a student population. One thing that is tough to consider is the time factor again. Often times the right questions involve timely discussion and then there is the time it takes to deal with inappropriate and irrelevant ones. Always a challenge being a teacher....
ReplyDeleteI have fallen into the same trap as well. I love art and want to share everything I know with students, but sometimes I forget that by throwing to much information at them, I eventually loss their attention, and if I don't give them enough, they don't quite understand what I'm asking of them. It is always hard to find that middle ground. So I really like this idea of not laying down bread crumbs, and letting the students come up with their own conclusion.
ReplyDelete