Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grouping My Thoughts

We've all come across it. You either love it or hate it. It can yield great results or a catastrophic end: the Group Project. 

Tovani discusses her use of the Group Project and the success that can come from it if you are careful. In an ideal situation, the assignment completion is raised to a higher level since several minds are thinking and working together. It would also theoretically relieve some stress from the teacher since there would be fewer assignments to grade. However the flip side is a very real possibility, and one I have experienced when I have had to work in a group. Often there is one student who does little or no work. There is the student who monopolizes the conversation. Often students grasp information at different paces, changing the pace of the whole group. Students want to work with friends, or with the "smart" kids, or by themselves. So the question is, why do it? 

While Tovani gives some great suggestions for disciplining a group and teaching students how to work in groups, she never really goes into why. Why is this a good literacy tool? Why bother? This was the question I asked myself while reading this section of the book, and I was disappointed to not see an answer from her. I can draw my own conclusions, but I have little experience in the classroom, especially compared to her, and I would have been interested to read her insights. 

How can a group help literacy? First of all, there is a distinction between group discussion and group work. Discussing a text or anything really, in a small group can be very beneficial. It can help students see a perspective other than their own, and maybe alter their understanding as a result. It also develops listening skills, teamwork skills, and social skills. Everyone's primary discourse is different, so each person brings a unique perspective to the table and through discussion could enrich different secondary discourses. Also, when opinions are voiced to one's peers, it is common that the group has similar concerns and questions. So when you can see that your classmates are struggling with the same thing you are, it builds a stronger relationship among the group and makes for a better learning experience.

However, things are totally different when that same group is made to complete an assignment together. Everyone's primary discourse is different, so how can they be blended? When a student has to move at a slower or faster speed than they are used to, or has to do more or less work than they want, isn't that a bad thing? 

I think no. I am not completely sold on group projects because I have had many bad experiences with them, but I see the value they can have. When a student above the rest is forced to slow down to fit the pace of the group, s/he might take more time than usual to do work, and subsequently see something new. A quiet student who is left with most of the work will have to find his voice and stand up to the other students, refusing to do everything. Most importantly, this is great practice for the real world. As adults we are put in situations whether it be with a boss, neighbor, or sister-in-law, where we must cooperate with others and work towards a common goal, whether we like them, agree with them, or not. 

As with all literary methods, it will be the responsibility of the teacher to know the class, the content, and the work, and plan accordingly. Group projects are not good solutions in every classroom, nor is there one way to establish working in groups. For example, in art it is very difficult to work on a piece with a group since artwork is so personal and artistic styles vary so greatly. It is not impossible, but can, in my opinion, only be effective in select areas such as creating a mural. 

I'm very curious to see what you all think. As mentioned before, most people I know either love or hate working in groups. Should we group or not? 

3 comments:

  1. Nooooo!!! I hear my high school self telling me. In grade school, I rarely worked within a group that had synergy for most of the reasons that you mentioned. One or two people usually get stuck doing most of the work while at least one person does practically nothing. It is true, however, that in the working world everyone will, most likely, have to work in group situations. It seems to be an important skill to practice before entering the workforce. I have worked with some groups in college that have been very cohesive. It is nice when everyone collaborates and creates a final product that one person alone would not have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sold on group projects or assignments at all either! The main issue I have is that I often conflict with the other person who actually wants to do something as well. Our views and ideas usually intersect and don't necessarily match. As for the student who gets away with nothing, that bothers me as well. I do agree that group discussion, however, is a great way to understand each other's primary discourses and attempts at secondary discourses. Teachers should never weigh too much of their grading scale with group projects in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have mixed feelings about group work. I think most could agree that group work prepares us for the real world, where we will be working with people all the time. However I was always one of those kids who got stuck doing all of the work. It is not fair to the ones doing all the work or the ones who are doing nothing. I don’t think in an art class, group work is productive, unless maybe to make a large mosaic or enlarging a picture as a class using the grid system but there again it’s still a mostly individual activity.

    ReplyDelete