As I continue my reading and contemplation of Literacy, there is a continuing idea that is extremely important. Teachers need to be models for their students.
This does not just mean completing an example problem on the board. It is extremely important for students to understand that although their teachers are the "leaders" of the classroom, they are in a constant state of learning and adapting, and often face the same struggles that students are facing. Teachers and students aren't so different from each other, and when students can see and understand that, they will become more comfortable with themselves and more ready to ask for help or guidance.
The first step in doing this is one that Tovani talks about often--putting oneself in the place of the student. It is extremely valuable to go over the text that you will expect students to read, and troubleshoot assignments to see things from a student's perspective. When doing this you can identify areas where you struggle and spots where students of the age group you are working with might struggle. Then the best way to find a solution is to see how you sort through it yourself. Tovani says that when she is struggling to get through a book, she tries to target what exactly is causing her a problem, finds a way to sort through it, then incorporates that into her teaching. It's so simple! So brilliant! You would think every teacher would be using this approach at every chance.
But wait, it's not that simple. There are a few things that could stand in the way. The most obvious one is the time factor. Teaching is not an 8-4 job, five days a week. Teaching extends into after school tutoring, conferences with parents, grading papers and projects late into the night, faculty meetings and so much more. So when does a teacher have the time to go through every text and assignment to see potential road blocks? The fact of the matter is, there isn't enough time. But that doesn't mean a teacher shouldn't do it when possible. No one can do everything, but that doesn't mean we can't try, and it is so valuable to view things from a student's perspective. How better to provide the most fulfilling learning experience possible?
I've done this when preparing lesson plans for art, and I find it extremely valuable. When making a prototype for a project, I have to follow every step that a student would. For nearly every lesson, I have come across a problem that I had not expected to, and luckily had the chance to resolve it before taking it into the classroom. I don't know why I never thought to do this with all areas of my lesson. For example, I've pulled tons of information on art history, specific artists, and modern art movements, but I have never read through it all with the mind of a student.
Another great thing is the comfort student's feel in knowing their teacher is just like them! When a teacher can say, "You know, I struggled to understand this part of the text/complete this part of the project/find the answer to this problem" a student feels relieved if they have the same question. I know I do when a teacher of mine admits such a thing. Ah teaching, so much to do so little time!
I like the book called "Mini-Lessons For Literature Circles" by Harvey Daniels and Nancy Steineke because it has a section after each lesson entitled, "What Can Go Wrong." Granted they don't know every little thing that could possibly go wrong, but it is nice to get some help from those who have prepared the lesson and used it in the classroom before.
ReplyDeleteThe book i'm reading was just touching on the importance of the teacher also becoming a reader and modeling the activities of the students such as journaling and generating questions about the material. This defninitely creates comforts and mutual understandings between both and will almost always strengthen the teacher/student relationship!
ReplyDeleteI also found relief after making a prototype of a project and corrected the problems I can across before introducing it to students. It also made me feel more confident in what I was doing, especially if it is not an area or expertise for me. I also think it is very important to let students know that you are also continuously learning and sometimes struggle in the same ways they do, it breaks that gap between teacher and student.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! One thing that I have learned about modeling is that read alouds are the perfect time to model. Doing things such as rereading a line, or slowing down and pausing because there is a difficult vocabulary word helps students recognize that all readers encounter problems once in a while. And like you and Colin have mentioned, modeling in this humble manner certainly strengthens the teacher/student rapport.
ReplyDelete